2 min read

Reducing Your Medicare Premiums After A Drop In Income

Featured Image


For wealthy retirees, the retirement phase often comes with a shift in income level that might lead to a disproportionate increase in Medicare surcharges. But you may not know that you have an option available to reduce these charges: by requesting Social Security to recalculate your benefits based on your current, lower income. This article will guide you on how to make this appeal and potentially save thousands of dollars annually on Medicare premiums.

Understanding the Basics:

Firstly, it's crucial to understand how Medicare premiums are calculated.   Medicare premiums were largely based on the retiree's modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) from two years prior. If your income was significantly higher before retirement, you might be paying more than necessary in Medicare Part B and Part D surcharges, commonly known as Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amounts (IRMAA).

Under the standard rules, the Social Security Administration uses your tax return from two years prior to determine your IRMAA. However, if your income has recently decreased due to life changes such as retirement, you can request a new calculation based on your current income.

Initiating the Process:

  1. Gather Documentation: The first step to request a new calculation of your Medicare premiums is to collect the necessary documentation. This includes proof of your current income, which might include recent pay stubs, a letter from your former employer confirming your retirement, or a copy of your current tax return.

  2. Apply for a New Calculation: Next, you need to submit a formal request to Social Security. You can do this by completing the form SSA-44 (Medicare Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount - Life-Changing Event). This form allows you to declare a life-changing event such as retirement that led to an income decrease. Ensure you fill out the form correctly, detailing your situation and income adjustment accurately.

  3. Appeal: If Social Security denies your initial request, you can file an appeal using form SSA-561 (Request for Reconsideration). A denial might occur if your current income is still relatively high despite the decrease. In this case, it can be worthwhile to seek professional advice to help you present your case in the most compelling way.

Optimizing the Process:

While it may seem daunting to tackle the bureaucratic process, a few strategies can help streamline it and increase your chances of success:

  1. Consider Professional Help: A financial advisor with experience in Social Security and Medicare can provide valuable guidance. They can help you understand the potential benefits of a recalculation and assist you in navigating the process.

  2. Stay Organized: Keep all your relevant financial documents in one place and make copies of everything you submit to Social Security. This will make it easier to respond to any inquiries and provide any additional information they might need.

  3. Be Proactive: Don't wait until you receive your first increased Medicare bill to take action. As soon as you retire, start the process of requesting a new calculation.


For affluent retirees dealing with a decrease in income and the subsequent rise in Medicare premiums, requesting a recalculation from Social Security can be a powerful tool for financial savings. While the process might be a bit time-consuming, the potential savings make it a worthwhile endeavor. Remember, it's essential to stay informed, organized, and proactive throughout the process to achieve the best possible outcome.

Request call with founder image